Dow Chemical has an exciting role for a Packaging & Specialty Plastics NA Sustainability & External Engagement Director. This role may be located in either Houston, TX or Midland, MI.
The key sustainability and advocacy responsibilities are developing and implementing regional Packaging & Specialty Plastics Sustainability, External Engagement/Advocacy and Issues Management plans that align with the business plan and global sustainability strategy, and identifying opportunities to promote and protect plastics, adhesives, and packaging by engaging internal subject matter experts and external organizations to address concerns against plastics, adhesives and packaging. The role will be responsible for protecting and enhancing the profitability of the Packaging & Specialty Plastics business by leading regional sustainability initiatives that improve the sustainability performance of our products and value chains and supporting the positive positioning of plastics and adhesives. This includes improving acceptance of plastic packaging by proactively developing, positioning, and implementing end of life solutions, monitoring industry trends and communicating critical issues internally.
This role will be working collaboratively across the industry and driving implementation and expansion of the key programs to advance the circular economy of plastics, improve waste management infrastructure, and prevent plastic from entering the environment across the NA. Additional responsibilities of the role include influencing the value chain stakeholders, participating in and promoting corporate sustainability initiatives in the region and developing tools and messaging for use by team members, customers and brand owners to enable positive positioning of plastics, adhesives, and packaging. The role will also use sustainability engagement with the value chain as a means of identifying and assessing new business development opportunities and driving value creation for the business.
Protect and Promote Plastics, Adhesives & Packaging (60%)
- Identify and oversee critical issues that face the plastics, adhesives, and packaging industries such as End-of-Life (EOL) options and marine debris as well as opportunities to promote the benefits of plastic packaging, through designing and leading programs in US and Canada that fix these issues.
- Drive completion of additional projects such as developing a system for collection, recycling, and energy recovery from flexible packaging, working closely with critical business aligned resources.
- Help develop strategy for team’s participation in external regional associations such as ACC, Recycling Partnership, MRFF and product/market associations…that proactively seek to improve the performance and perception of plastics and packaging.
- Influence industry programs to align with Dow’s priorities to grow the plastics industry.
- Lead the team that directs Hefty Energy Bag business model for ultimate expansion.
- Lead the sustainability team to develop other key projects helping fill the gap of driving demand for packaging after life and work with the broader business team to develop other key projects
- Work closely with Packaging & Specialty Plastics’ Global Sustainability Director to identify opportunities within the region to promote plastics internally and externally.
- Educate Dow employees – especially Packaging & Specialty Plastics employees and corporate sustainability team members, Top 10 customers, leading brand owners, and other key industry partners on sustainability matters including the value of plastic packaging and end-of-life options for used packaging.
- Strategically directing communications in our approach to measure and change public perception.
- Author papers and give presentations at key industry events, in industry trade journals, and customer meetings and through one-on-one interaction with packaging converters, brand owners, and other value chain partners to assure that everyone understands the value and sustainability contribution of plastic packaging.
Influencing Others (30%)
- Influence others in the value chain, including trade associations, universities, converters, competitors, and brand owners to actively support goals and projects that are based on scientific criteria and in alignment with Dow’s objectives.
- Leadership level participation on key plastics, adhesives and packaging industry trade associations and other sustainability-related organizations
- Participation on organization boards, leading working teams, working on critical projects, providing input or organization leadership, authoring and editing documents and presentations, and personally interacting with individuals serving on the teams.
Corporate Coordination (10%)
- Leverage opportunities and experience from other Dow regional businesses and corporate functions. Ownership of the sustainability strategy in the US and Canada context and ensuring all other regional functions (Public Affairs, Government Affairs, R&D, Corporate Sustainability, Geography) are aligned and working on tasks that progress our goals here (no plastics in the environment, prevention of plastics getting into the environment, advocating for chemical recycling, etc…).
- Work with other businesses within Dow on projects that support the Packaging & Specialty Plastics business’ objectives.
- Support achievement of Dow’s 2025 Sustainability Goals.
- Experience in one or more of the following: customer or industry facing roles including but not limited to sustainability, advocacy, public policy, sales, marketing, technical service, and/or value chain initiatives is required
- 10+ years of related industry experience is required
- Strong interpersonal skills are critical to developing relationships across the value chain and throughout industry organizations and collaborating effectively both externally and internally
- Negotiation skills and experience
- Ability to identify and drive business opportunities to deliver business results
- Ability to work independently and be strategic in thinking in ambiguous situations
- Critical thinking skills and comprehension of lifecycle and other scientific principles needed to achieve sustainability goals
- Ability to build and maintain strong long-term relationships with industry leaders and key influencers across the packaging industry and sustainability spaces
- A minimum requirement for this U.S. based position is the ability to work legally in the United States. No visa sponsorship/support is available for this position, including for any type of U.S. permanent residency (green card) process.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Geology, Environmental Science or other technical field required
- MBA or other advanced degree is desirable
- Industry experience in Packaging or Plastics is preferred
- Experience working with trade associations, NGOs, and value chain members is preferred
DowDuPont (NYSE: DWDP) is a holding company comprised of The Dow Chemical Company and DuPont with the intent to form strong, independent, publicly traded companies in agriculture, materials science and specialty products sectors that will lead their respective industries through productive, science-based innovation to meet the needs of customers and help solve global challenges. For more information, please visit us at www.dow-dupont.com.
The positions represented by this job posting are aligned to one of the three divisions, Agriculture, Materials Science or Specialty Products, which are expected to separate from DowDuPont into stand-alone public companies. Information on the division alignment will be provided during the recruitment process.
- Competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits
- An annual variable pay program that rewards team and individual performance while sharing success across the company
- On-going learning opportunities within a diverse, inclusive and rewarding work environment
- Career experiences that can span different Dow businesses and functions with opportunities for personal and professional growth
- The chance to work within a global company and interact with colleagues from around the world
- Opportunities that spark your imagination and ignite your passion to help others
- Dow is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
As part of our dedication to the diversity of our workforce, Dow is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at http://www.dow.com/en-us/contact-us, you may call us at 1+800-523-3945 and select Option 1, or send a facsimile request to 1+989-636-3674.
Please submit resume and cover letter on or before December 6, 2018 to the search firm, Weinreb Group, via the following: https://weinrebgroup.com/resume/. The cover letter should include why you are qualified for this role and information on salary history and possible start date. All submissions will be held in the strictest confidence.