This project is funded by “Programa Operativo de Cooperación Territorial Interreg V-A España-Portugal MAC (Madeira-Azores-Canarias) 2014-2020 (POMAC 2014-2020)”. It is a territorial cooperation programme whose global strategic objective is to obtain significant and tangible progress in the transnational cooperation with the aim of encouraging the territorial united development, sustainable, and balanced of the Atlantic Area and its maritime heritage.
The project is under Priority Axis 1, whose aim is to strengthen research, technological development and innovation, allow confronting major challenges in the cooperation area such as the lack of capacity and resources of R+D+I, resources dissipation and unefficiencies in the use of R+D+I infrastructure, as well as the cooperation difficulty between universities, research centers and companies or the low commercial exploitation of research results.
Enhance R+D+I in sustainable aquaponics production suited to the specificities of the region, and to create a multidisciplinary network that promote primary sustainable production, bioresource revaluation, biotechnology, circular economy and education in those areas.
Aquaponics production of fishes and plants will be places as a development central axis and example of circular economy direct application, in regions where the generation of organic by-products is variable and dispersed and its reutilization currently uncompetitive. It is ultimately about giving alternative uses solutions approaching all the steps, from generation and quantification of waste, to its biochemical valuation and experimental test, through the necessary micrologistics for its movement and economic study of the whole process.
- Enhance R+D+I capacities in aquaponics systems of sustainable production, by creating research joint platforms, positioning the ultraperipheral islands favourably in primary sector innovation and food security and its participation in competitive projects.
- Competitive improvements in aquaponics production in the ultraperipheral islands. Cross-border cooperation actions between universities and R+D centers for the exchange and research staff joint training to facilitate European projects participation.
- Create a Circular Economy Interregional Network for R+D+I in sustainable development, circular economy and aquaponics, that supports innovative solutions generation in the management and alternative uses of organic by-products.
GEOGRAPHICAL AREA OF THE PROJECT
The geographical area of intervention and cross-border and transnational cooperation of this activity comprises Madeira (Portugal), Canary Islands (Spain), and Cape Verde regions. The action will be coordinated by one of the research centers of the Canary Islands (University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria), in collaboration with other research centers from the island and other regions. Each partner will be responsible of one of the project activities.
The geographical area of intervention has been extended to other European countries, geographically other Atlantic islands (UK and Ireland) that for their previous experience in the proposed thematic and participation in the European Network Cost are considered very important in the consultant, support and internationalization of the proposal and its results.
- University of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (ULPGC) / (Canary Islands) Multidisciplinary research group in aquaculture (GIA), engineering and economy.
- Instituto Canario de Investigaciones Agrarias (ICIA) / (Canary Islands)
- Instituto Tecnológico de Canarias (ITC) / (Canary Islands)
- Agencia Regional para o Desenvolvimento da Investigação, Tecnologia e Inovação (ARDITI) / (Madeira)
- Observatório Oceânico da Madeira (OMM) / (Madeira)
Participants of third countries:
- Instituto Nacional de Investigação e Desenvolvimento Agrário (INIDA) / (Cape Verde)
- University of Greenwich (UK)
- University College Cork (Ireland)
- Direção Regional de Pescas de Madeira (Madeira)
- Asociación Biodiversidad Atlántica y Sostenibilidad (Canary Islands)
- INSULAR-Produtos Alimentares S.A. (Madeira)
- MARISLAND Madeira Mariculture Lda. (Madeira)