The Amsterdam Metropolitan Area has joined forces to move towards a circular economy because of the great opportunities it can offer to the region. Its main aim is finded smart solutions for the limited availability of resources through redesign and closing of energy, water and material loops, before 2025. Simultaneously, innovation and new business development will be realized in the Amsterdam region.
The vision is that it can lead to cost reduction, create new business and employment, and save resources and energy. In addition, it can stimulate the development of knowledge, innovation and start-ups, and increase the provision of supply of key resources. Thus, it offers societal merits in all respects: People, Planet and Profit.
The strategy to realize this mission is fivefold:
1. To get an overview of the main waste streams in the region and the extent to which these streams are already recycled or reused. This overview forms the basis for action.
2. To identify opportunities for the region to strengthen business development, employment and innovation focused on creating a circular economy.
3. To pursue those activities that fit in the strategy of the Metropole region as a circular resources hub.
4. To set up online and offline communication that increases publicity and communication on the Metropole region of Amsterdam as a circular resources hub.
5. To strengthen the involvement and consciousness of citizens about the circular activities of their region.