Propose Pilot Project Timeline:
Collecting participant details: 1st September to 15th October 2019
Event launch date: 16th October 2019 coincides with World Food Day
Workshop: Tentatively 17th October & 30th October 2019
Collection period: From 1st November 2019 to 31st January 2020
Current problem: Malaysia discards more than 16,000 tonnes of food waste per day and hotels, restaurants and cafés are the largest contributors. We need to start diverting food waste away from landfills in order to reduce our carbon footprint, recover resources, and restore the essential nutrients back to the soil. Food waste is recyclable and hence must be used smartly in order to reduce the greenhouse emissions that come from landfills.
Eco Foodsoft (M) Sdn Bhd revolves around creating a circular economic system aimed at turning food waste into healthy food while leaving a better future for the next generation. We want to offer practical solutions instead of being the problem and we would like the food industry to be part of this solution management. This project will meet the UN Sustainability Development Goals 12. 3.1.B, 13B, and 15 as well as UN Reduce Food Waste Goal 2015.
This pilot project is to test run food waste collection from a targeted commercial area for free, for duration of 3 months.
Target demographics: Hotels, Restaurants, Cafés (Horeca) in the Petaling Jaya area: Bandar Utama & Uptown, Mutiara Damansara (The Curve) & Kota Damansara (The Strand) & Desa Park City areas.
What we provide:
• Every Horeca outlet will get a 60 litre food waste bin
• Collection of food waste once a day at a scheduled time, free for 3 months
• Please see Appendix 1 for the flow chart on how we propose to conduct the collection.
Launching of the Project:
1. We will arrange a launch event and invite all participating business owners to come and launch it with media, relevant stakeholders including local Key Opinion Leaders.
2. We will arrange a food waste segregation workshop thereafter to educate participants & outlet staff on how to segregate food waste & manage unpleasant issues effectively.
3. We will also set up a hotline to enable all participants to contact us conveniently.
Pre-launch: We will do an online media announce to encourage interested outlet/business owners to sign up for this pilot project from 1st September till 15th October 2019. Sign up will be online ( i.e. eventbrite.co.uk).
We will also exhibit this, including call to action, during the Food and Hotel Malaysia at KL Convention Center on 24th to 27th September 2019.
SPECIAL OFFER for CEC Members
Some activities are free and some at USD10